Solange Knowles is not your average 20-something-year-old. At 27, she’s already experienced marriage, motherhood and divorce, and she opens up about those experiences in a candid interview with Harper’s Bazaar.
“In a lot of ways, emotionally and mentally, I feel far older than 27,” the mother of 9-year-old son Julez told the magazine. “Just going through a marriage and a divorce — which I essentially did by 21 — will give you an insane amount of perspective on life.”
“Everyone talks about how, in your 30s, all of these growing pains transition into wisdom and you feel more self-assured and confident,” she explained, “but I think I had a bit of a jump-start on that at 27.”
Solange married her son’s father and high school sweetheart Daniel Smith at just 17. After giving birth, she moved to Moscow, Idaho, where Smith was attending college. Although she was a teenage mother, Solo says her son was the biggest blessing she could ask for at the time. “I was lucky with Julez,” she shared. “I was completely lost when we moved to Idaho, out in the country, and I devoted everything to him.”
Although their marriage didn’t last (Knowles filed for divorce in 2006), the fashionista said she and Daniel “co-parent really well.”
“I’m able to say, ‘I need to finish this album, can you step up and take care of the boy?’“ she said.
As far as her love life today, Solange said she’s been in a steady relationship with video director Alan Ferguson for the past few years. “Luckily, I dated all of the losers ages ago. My love life has been stable for a while,” she said. Then added, “It’s a fucked-up thing—without conflict it’s a lot harder to write interesting songs.”
The songstress, who owns Saint Records and works as art director and creative consultant for Puma, recently related from Brooklyn to New Orleans. “I’ve thought about moving to New Orleans for years but just never had the courage to do it. Now my son is at that age where he’s really establishing friends and a community, so I feel like this is a good time to try it out,” she said of her decision to leave New York. “I consider myself a dual citizen at this point.”
“For the first time in my life, I’m basing every decision around the idea of whether I want to do it or if I think it will be inspiring,” she concluded. “And that’s paid off for me.”
Check Out This Gallery
50 Killer Looks We'd Like To Steal From Solange
1. 50 Killer Looks Starring Solange
To understand Solange Knowles means that you know fashion. You know that it's fresh and vibrant, and sometimes weird. You know that it's daring and revealing, but can often be subtle and calm. Solange is no longer just Beyonce's stylish little sister. Following in the footsteps of Diana and Cher, Solange is rocking out to her own beat and I love it. But there's 15 killer looks that I am completely swooning over!
2. Solange at the Opening Ceremony And 'The Great Gatsby' Premiere
Here's where everyone began checking for Beyonce's baby sis.
3. Solange attends the Costume Institute Gala for the "PUNK: Chaos to Couture" exhibition
Her infamous fro that everyone almost believed was hers.
4. Solange Knowles attends the Pre-Met Ball screening of "The Great Gatsby" at The Museum of Modern Art
Before we all know that stripes were in, Solange was setting the bar for what the trend should feel like.
5. Solange Knowles at The 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Giving us an Angelina leg covered in color!
6. Solange Knowles attends the 2011 Angel Ball To Benefit Gabrielle's Angel Foundation
I bet you forgot how amazing white could look, huh!
7. Solange at the "Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream" New York Premiere
Even when she ditches her slacks, she looks breathtaking!
8. Solange Knowles attends the 2013 Vanity Fair Oscar party
9. Solange Knowles attends the HBO "Girls" season 2 premiere
Wondering why everyone is wearing head-to-toe prints, we can all thank Solange!
10. Solange Knowles attends Ermenegildo Zegna "Essenze" Collection Launch event
Chic yet simple!
11. Solange Knowles attends the Absolut Tune Launch Party at The Top of The Standard
Olivia Pope knows nothing about this!
12. Solange Knowles attends American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall New York City Center Gala
But do you peep those heels?!
13. Solange Knowles attends amfAR Milano 2012 during Milan Fashion Week at La Permanente
Serving superhero realness. I'm still waiting for her to fly away.
14. Solange Knowles attends the Angel Ball 2012 at Cipriani Wall Street
I just want Solange to reorganize my closet.
15. Solange Knowles attend 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards at Alice Tully Hall
And add this one in my size...
16. Solange Knowles attends the "Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations" Costume Institute Gala
And I would totes squeeze into this one.
17. Solange Knowles attends 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala
Taking a que from her big sis with the accented waist and hip on this dress. I think she forgot her makeup though?
18. Solange Knowles attends the Splendid Soho Store Opening Hosted By Dylan Lauren
Every girl should have own a funky clutch. It will bring life to any look.
19. Solange Knowles attends the Tribeca Ball 2012
Perfecting the mixed print trend.
20. Solange Knowles poses for a portrait backstage at 2012 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival
Let's start a petition to get Solange to teach a class on posing!