The White House State Dinner, which hosted French President François Hollande as the guest of honor Tuesday night, is a big deal, but as usual, all eyes were also on Michelle Obama and what she wore.
The First Lady didn’t disappoint and donned a Carolina Herrera gown that wowed critics and fashion lovers. The dress, featuring a lace top over a liberty blue skirt, is the first long sleeve piece Obama has worn for the annual event. Complete with a black velvet belt wrapped around her waist, Obama achieved a glamorous couture look.
This dramatic, billowed Herrarra piece is in contrast to the sleeker gold Naeem Khan column gown she wore in 2009 at The State Dinner for India and looks more delicate, considering the lace overlay and ornate neckline. Herrera, who just presented her Fall 2014 collection at New York Fashion Week on February 10, custom-made FLOTUS’ grand gown in her atelier in New York.
Michelle Obama’s choices of evening wear never go unnoticed. From her controversial Azzedine Alaïa dress at this year’s State of The Union Address to her red Alexander McQueen gown for the 2011 State Dinner, Mrs. O manages to get a response from at least one designer, including Oscar De La Renta, who is reportedly not that impressed with her look and is more concerned with dressing the “everyday woman.” Hopefully, this move can prove to naysayers that Lady O is as flawless as they come.
Check out our favorite looks from Herrera’s Fall 2014 New York Fashion Week show below!
BEST IN SHOW: 10 Edgy Ladylike Carolina Herrera Looks
1. Carolina Herrera Keeps Us Pretty In The Cold1 of 11
2. A Long-Sleeve Patterned Piece2 of 11
3. An All-Black Stunner3 of 11
4. An Orange Fur Coat4 of 11
5. A Patterned Blue and White Dress5 of 11
6. A Patterned Blue and Orange Dress6 of 11
7. A Long Grey Dress With A Slit7 of 11
8. An Orange Cinched Stunner8 of 11
9. A Flowy Orange Dress9 of 11
10. A Long Colorful Spring Dress10 of 11
11. A Beautiful Grey Coat11 of 11
MORE BEAUTY & STYLE STORIES: