We’d all like to pretend we’ve got it all figured out. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy asks girl to be his girlfriend. But in all honesty, dating isn’t as easy as that. Somewhere in between boy likes girl and boy asks girl to be his girlfriend, something gets in the way for many of us. While not everyone is out for the ring, many of us simply want to start with the title…at least. And if you’re like me, then you need help getting there.
I often find myself on a perpetual first date. I can meet ridiculously handsome men by batting my eyelashes, but getting that beautiful man to commit to me is a feat I often fail. So I reached out to TheDatingCouncil.com and asked coaches and relationship experts, Jodie & Diane Fanelli to help me figure it out and they gave me a list of simple do’s and don’ts of dating with the intention of landing your man. You’re welcome.
1. Exude confidence! Inside you may feel you need to lose 10lbs, but he/she doesn’t need to hear it!
2. Be a lady. It’s fine to be the kind of gal that could hang with the guys. But skip joining in on that belching contest on that first date.
3. Mind your manners at all times and with all persons you encounter on the date. Your date will be noting how you interact with everyone -from coat check to car ride!
4. Don’t drink too much! Nobody looks good with half open eyes and slurring their words.
5. Show him you care! Put some effort into your appearance/outfit. Ladies–Wear you hair down and styled. Put a fresh coat of nail polish on your nails. Men–Pay a visit to the barber.
6. Don’t reveal too much about yourself or your past relationships. Keep things upbeat and fun! There is always time later on in the relationship to discuss these things. Remember: It’s a marathon…not a sprint.
7. Be honest. Again, this doesn’t mean sharing all your deepest darkest secrets. But it is only fair that your date should know the basics–such as age, marital status and kids.
8. Come prepared with topics. Get in the habit of keeping up with current events by reading the paper daily or other news source. Keep cultivating your interests and maybe take a class.
Must Read: 13 Sure-Fire Signs That It’s Not A Date
Get to know the couples from “About Last Night”! Find out about the ups and downs and hilarious romantic errors in their relationships!
Make sure to go see “About Last Night,” starring Kevin Hart, Michael Ealy, Regina Hall and Joy Bryant.
Check out this gallery of Apps to get you a boo!
1. Download Your Love
Are you tired of ordinary online dating sites like Match, Plenty of Fish, OK Cupid, and Zoosk? Looking for a more exciting approach to dating? Well, just in time for cuffing season we've got seven hot new apps worth giving a try!
2. Coffee Meets Bagel
This awesome app gives you the option of meeting up with a potential lover daily at noon by providing you with a match ("Bagel). Your bagel has to have at least one friend in common with you. You have to like or pass your bagel within 24 hours. Mutual likes leads to direct connection via text messages on a dedicated phone line where your personal phone number is kept private. Download here: http://bit.ly/1a1pqhX
This app is specifically for those who are trying to get their groove on. You have to put exactly what you want (sex, kissing, cuddling, etc) and then you tell if you can host or are willing to travel. Everything is discreet as your requests, conversation history and photos will be deleted automatically within an hour. This exclusive app requires an invite. Request an invite here: http://bit.ly/14eg7IX
Tinder is a social networking dating app where users can browse through profiles of other Tinder users nearby and anonymously decide who they like and if they’re interested in connecting. If someone you like happens to like you back, you will be able to chat directly within the app. Download here: http://bit.ly/UnxaEM
This is one of the biggest social dating apps there is. Mamba boasts 23 million users in 15 countries, 3 million users per day, and 1 million people online at any given time, so it's almost impossible not to find love on this app. The app connects you to people in your area and allows them to reach out to you based on your proximity to them. Download here: http://bit.ly/1a3v0jU
6. How About We
This app is all about dating and offering new and interesting ways to go about having your first date. All you do is scroll through people posting their quirky date ideas and post a few of your own! If you like what you see or they like what they see, you or your potential can then ask to be a part of the date you proposed. Download here: http://bit.ly/106ETPG
7. Meet Me
Meet Me allows you to join in online conversations with potential mates nearby. What we like most about this app is that it allows you to connect beyond the physical--you can have an intellectual exchange and for many, nothing's sexier than that! Download here: http://bit.ly/TZQc5J
Swoon is where professionals meet like minded matches nearby. It's the only dating app made by women for women. It's yay or nay approach allows you to quickly scroll through potential mates and if you swipe too quickly, you can "look back!" Once there's a mutual match, the private conversations begin! Download here: http://swoonapp.com