4 Cups Kale, Chopped
1 Pound Sweet Potato, Peeled and Diced
½ Pound Turnips, Peeled and Diced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Pearl Onions, Frozen and Peeled
12 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/16 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1 Puff Pastry Sheet, Frozen
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
½ Cup Dry White Wine
1 Cup Vegetable Stock
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon Water
1 Cup Peas, Frozen
1 Teaspoon Sherry Vinegar
1. Separate the leaves of kale from the stems and tear or chop into small, bite-sized pieces. Discard the stems. Soak the leaves in a large bowl of cold water.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small, 1/4 inch dice. Place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Peel the turnips and cut into same-sized pieces as the sweet potatoes. Add to the bowl of potatoes.
4. Smash the garlic under the side of your chef’s knife to remove the peel. Mince the garlic, then add to the potatoes and turnips.
5. Lift the leaves out of the water and shake off excess water. If there was a lot of grit left in the bowl, repeat the soaking process until water is clean.
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and warm.
2. Once oil is warm, add the sweet potatoes, turnips, garlic, onions and sprigs of thyme. Add ground clove and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables become fragrant and onions look translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Stir often.
3. Remove puff pastry from freezer and set on clean, flat surface. Allow it to defrost at room temperature.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Once vegetables are fragrant and onions look translucent, add butter to pot of vegetables and let melt, then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste. Stir continuously. The mixture will be damp and clumpy.
6. Pour in wine and vegetable stock, and use a spoon to scrape up any good browned bits or flour from the bottom of the pot. As liquid comes to a boil, it will start to thicken. Once liquid is smooth and there aren’t any clumps of flour left, add heavy cream. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until soup is reduced and thickened and vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Stir often. Keep at a gentle simmer, and lower heat if necessary.
7. Prepare a sheet pan with a layer of parchment paper.
8. Crack the egg into a small mixing bowl. Add water and whisk to combine.
9. Once puff pastry is pliable, open up on a lightly floured surface. Use a 4.5-5″ round cutter or sharp knife to trim the pastry into rounds. Place on the prepared sheet pan. Use a sharp knife to cut an X in the center of each round. Brush with egg wash, then pull the leaves from the remaining sprigs of thyme and sprinkle evenly over each piece of puff pastry along with a little bit of salt.
10. Place puff pastry in the preheated oven. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
11. Once soup is thick and vegetables are tender, remove sprigs of thyme, then stir in kale, peas and sherry vinegar. Check final seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Cook another 3-5 minutes until kale is soft and peas are cooked through.
12. Ladle the sweet potato and kale soup onto each dinner plate and top with puff pastry rounds. Serve warm!
Cooking Planit is a website and mobile app that provides you with step-by-step instructions to create full meals with every dish ready to serve at the same time. Essentially a “GPS for the kitchen,” the app also provides options to filter recipes by main ingredient, occasion and dietary restriction. Each of the 600 chef-tested recipes displays a full list of ingredients and necessary cooking utensils, enabling everyone– from the experienced to the curious – to discover new flavors with minimal fuss and maximum success.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Also On HelloBeautiful:
These Are What Beautiful Black Bodies Look Like...
1. Beautiful Black Bodies
Black women come in all shapes, builds and skin tones. We take pride in our curves, six packs and svelte silhouettes. Let's just say, we keep it fierce at all times! In celebrations of our gorgeous, scroll through this gallery of stunning Black celebs showing off their fabulous figures.