8 Cups Kale, Torn into small pieces
1 15-Ounce Can Chickpeas
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Water
¼ Cup Asiago Cheese, Grated
1. Separate the leaves of kale from the stems. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place in a large bowl of cold water. Discard the stems. Soak the leaves as you prepare other ingredients.
2. Strain the chickpeas through a colander. Rinse under cold water until the water runs clear and chickpeas feel clean. Dry thoroughly, then place in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and kosher salt.
4. Lift the leaves out of the water and dry thoroughly. If there was a lot of grit left in the bowl, repeat the soaking process until water is clean.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a sheet pan with olive oil.
3. Drizzle the chickpeas with 1 TBSP olive oil and season with the spice mixture. Toss to coat evenly. Scatter the chickpeas in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan.
4. Place chickpeas in the preheated oven and cook until they are dried and crispy throughout, about 25-30 minutes. Check often and shake pan every 10 minutes to keep them from sticking.
5. Prepare a plate with layers of paper towels. Set plate near the stove for the sauteed kale.
6. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBSP olive oil and warm.
7. Once oil is warm, add the pieces of kale. Season the kale with salt and pepper and cook until it starts to soften.
8. Pour in the water and cover the pan loosely with foil. Cook kale until leaves are very soft and bright green, about 3-5 minutes. If pan starts to dry out, add more water.
9. Transfer kale to plate of paper towels and cover loosely with foil until chickpeas are ready.
10. Once chickpeas are crispy, transfer the kale to a serving platter or dinner plates. Top with the crispy chickpeas. Use a fine-tooth grater to grate Asiago cheese over the top. Ready to serve!
Cooking Planit is a website and mobile app that provides you with step-by-step instructions to create full meals with every dish ready to serve at the same time. Essentially a “GPS for the kitchen,” the app also provides options to filter recipes by main ingredient, occasion and dietary restriction. Each of the 600 chef-tested recipes displays a full list of ingredients and necessary cooking utensils, enabling everyone– from the experienced to the curious – to discover new flavors with minimal fuss and maximum success.