2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped
1/3 Cup Raw Walnuts, Crumbled
1/3 Cup Plain Breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ½ Pounds Red Beets, Large
½ Shallot, Peeled
4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
¾ Cup Heavy Cream
6 Ounces Goat Cheese
1. Trim parsley leaves from the stems and finely chop to measure the indicated amount. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add the crushed walnuts, breadcrumbs and olive oil to the bowl of parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine well. Mixture will resemble damp sand.
3. If you purchased beets with the greens attached, cut the stems off just above the root of the beet and discard. Wash beets under cold water to remove any dirt. Pat dry with paper towels. Use a peeler to remove the skin from the beets. Wear gloves to prevent staining your hands.
4. Cut the beets into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices.
5. Cut a shallot in half. Place the indicated amount in a small saucepan along with the heavy cream and sprigs of thyme.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Turn the heat on low under the pot of heavy cream, thyme and shallot. Bring to a light simmer, then steep for 2-3 minutes until the cream is infused with the flavors of thyme. Do not let it boil.
3. Remove the thyme and shallot from the heavy cream and season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Layer 1/3 of the beet slices in the bottom of a baking dish. Lay the slices flat in a single layer, then crumble 1/3 of the goat cheese and drizzle 1/3 of the cream mixture over the top.
5. Season the first layer with salt and pepper, then build another layer of beets, goat cheese and cream. Sprinkle half of the walnut mixture over the second layer and season with salt and pepper.
6. Finish with the remaining beets, goat cheese, cream and walnut mixture. Season again with salt and pepper, then cover the dish tightly with foil.
7. Place the beets in the preheated oven and bake until beets are tender, about 45-55 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until breadcrumbs are toasted.
8. Once you remove the beets from the oven, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
9. Scoop the beet gratin with walnuts and goat cheese onto dinner plates. Serve warm!
Cooking Planit is a website and mobile app that provides you with step-by-step instructions to create full meals with every dish ready to serve at the same time. Essentially a “GPS for the kitchen,” the app also provides options to filter recipes by main ingredient, occasion and dietary restriction. Each of the 600 chef-tested recipes displays a full list of ingredients and necessary cooking utensils, enabling everyone– from the experienced to the curious – to discover new flavors with minimal fuss and maximum success.