As a busy work-at-home mom, I’m always looking for ways to get a little extra rest. Even 20 extra minutes of sleep will make a huge difference in my life. My morning tasks to get out the door are a bit simpler with only one child. To get the best advice I consulted my mommy friends who are professionals with more than one child. Just like me, you’ll love their tricks to trim 20 minutes off your mornings.
- Prepare lunches the night before. My friend Brittany M. has twin daughters in preschool. She takes an hour on a Sunday and prepares a whole week of lunches at once. That’s 10 lunches done in an hour vs. scrambling every morning to get out the door.
- Pre-make breakfast ahead of time. Cut up fruit, dish out yogurt and pour cups of milk or juice the night before.
- Eliminate the need to move things around in your fridge every morning. Reorganize your refrigerator so the foods you need for breakfast are front and center. MaryBeth R. has quadruplets and moved her milk down to a lower shelf so her daughters can reach it themselves.
- If you need a cup of coffee to start your morning instead of stopping at Starbucks or your local coffee shop, invest on a coffee maker. Set the timer at night and your coffee will be ready in the morning.
- Set out your clothes and your children’s clothes the night before or an entire week ahead. If you hit the gym in the morning before you head out the door, go to bed in your workout gear.
- Shower at night instead of in the morning.
- Reorganize your closet so your weekdays clothes (blouses and slacks) are separate from your weekend clothes (jogging suits and lounge wear).
- Wear your hair in a loose bun at night to keep it from getting tangled.
- Organize your makeup so you can easily create a “five minute face” of makeup. Use products that do more than one thing. For instance, a foundation with SPF, a blush you can use as bronzer or eye shadow.
- Create an “out the door box” or spot near your front door. This can be for your suitcase, laptop or book bags. MaryBeth, the mom of quadruplets, suggests if you have a metal front door, use a magnet to attach notes and slips to it.
- Have a gadget-free morning. Don’t check your smartphone or laptop. They can distract you from the important tasks that help you get out the door faster.
- Create a task chart or check list for your children. Post it in their bedroom or bathroom. Give them the responsibility to dress themselves, brush their own teeth and grab their back packs before you head out the door.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Joyce Brewer is an Emmy award-winning TV journalist living in Atlanta with her husband and son. She hosts a parenting talk show, Mommy Talk Show and is the author of Use What You Know: A Business Idea Guide for Moms.
Enter to win $100 gift cards weekly & a grand prize to our Town Hall Event in Atlanta!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"