Solange may be five years younger than Beyonce, but she’s still very protective of her big sister.
“It’s really, really scary to me,” she said of her sister’s aggressive fans. “She has the whole BeyHive stage so those are like select fans that have followed her. It’s really scary but you know what? At the same time. I have to give her the hugest props for putting herself and being that accessible but it is scary, especially as a family member seeing that. She let them go. She said, ‘It’s okay.’”
Solange went on to talk about her musical beginnings, love for Nas and her special relationship with brother-in-law Jay Z. Check out highlights from the chit-chat below and tell us what you think.
On her performance at a laundromat:
“It was actually how to make boring, brilliant. Shout out to ‘Fader’ for being über creative. Mine was definitely like the weirdest. It was also kinda awesome for people not to have the context.”
On getting suspended from school over her love for Nas:
“I actually got suspended from school over Nas. The story is that I went to a Christian school. I had the ‘Vibe’ cover of him with the ‘God Son’ tattoo on his stomach. I had like a whole homage to him in my locker. Obviously, the Christian dean thought that was blasphemous for him to have a tattoo saying ‘God’s son,’ but my argument was that there was a girl who had a Justin Timberlake poster in her locker with the cross on his chest. I didn’t really see what the difference was. So I refused to take it down and I actually spoke with my parents and they actually gave me the freedom and choice to stand by that. And so the dean told me if I didn’t take it down by Friday, I think it was a Wednesday, that I would get suspended. I took the suspension.”
On receiving backlash for being a DJ and how she started her musical career:
“Lots of people [were mad at me for DJ’ing]. I got it. I got it. I have to say I actually called Q-TIP, who is my favorite DJ. I’ve always been a music lover. The iPod hog at all of the parties… super annoying. And so it was actually right after the earthquakes in Haiti and I wanted to help out and contribute in some way. I had an event and I was like someone has to DJ. I asked TIP to do it, he wasn’t available. I asked Amir. I asked Questlove, I asked all my favorite DJs. I was like, You know what, I’m just gonna like play some music.’ And actually, my sister and Jay, it was my birthday and they bought me turntables they were like, ‘We’re tired of you being an iPod DJ; actually learn how to DJ’. So I actually called TIP. He literally, for five hours, made me go back and forth until I could beat match. It’s like I wasn’t going to do it if I couldn’t actually beat match and do it.”
On her relationship Jay Z:
“Jay and I have our own sister brotherly relationship. We talk about music a lot, about art a lot and that’s my dude and that’s my brother. We’ve discussed it. I was actually like 13 or so when I met him and my first introduction to meeting him was that I sat next to him on the plane. This was pre my sister and him dating, That was during the time when you have the big leather booklet with the CD covers and you took a lot of pride in laying that out and I had a whole Nas section. His nickname for me was ‘private school thug,’”
Check Out This Gallery
1. 50 Killer Looks Starring Solange
To understand Solange Knowles means that you know fashion. You know that it's fresh and vibrant, and sometimes weird. You know that it's daring and revealing, but can often be subtle and calm. Solange is no longer just Beyonce's stylish little sister. Following in the footsteps of Diana and Cher, Solange is rocking out to her own beat and I love it. But there's 15 killer looks that I am completely swooning over!
2. Solange at the Opening Ceremony And 'The Great Gatsby' Premiere
Here's where everyone began checking for Beyonce's baby sis.
3. Solange attends the Costume Institute Gala for the "PUNK: Chaos to Couture" exhibition
Her infamous fro that everyone almost believed was hers.
4. Solange Knowles attends the Pre-Met Ball screening of "The Great Gatsby" at The Museum of Modern Art
Before we all know that stripes were in, Solange was setting the bar for what the trend should feel like.
5. Solange Knowles at The 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Giving us an Angelina leg covered in color!
6. Solange Knowles attends the 2011 Angel Ball To Benefit Gabrielle's Angel Foundation
I bet you forgot how amazing white could look, huh!
7. Solange at the "Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream" New York Premiere
Even when she ditches her slacks, she looks breathtaking!
8. Solange Knowles attends the 2013 Vanity Fair Oscar party
9. Solange Knowles attends the HBO "Girls" season 2 premiere
Wondering why everyone is wearing head-to-toe prints, we can all thank Solange!
10. Solange Knowles attends Ermenegildo Zegna "Essenze" Collection Launch event
Chic yet simple!
11. Solange Knowles attends the Absolut Tune Launch Party at The Top of The Standard
Olivia Pope knows nothing about this!
12. Solange Knowles attends American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall New York City Center Gala
But do you peep those heels?!
13. Solange Knowles attends amfAR Milano 2012 during Milan Fashion Week at La Permanente
Serving superhero realness. I'm still waiting for her to fly away.
14. Solange Knowles attends the Angel Ball 2012 at Cipriani Wall Street
I just want Solange to reorganize my closet.
15. Solange Knowles attend 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards at Alice Tully Hall
And add this one in my size...
16. Solange Knowles attends the "Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations" Costume Institute Gala
And I would totes squeeze into this one.
17. Solange Knowles attends 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala
Taking a que from her big sis with the accented waist and hip on this dress. I think she forgot her makeup though?
18. Solange Knowles attends the Splendid Soho Store Opening Hosted By Dylan Lauren
Every girl should have own a funky clutch. It will bring life to any look.
19. Solange Knowles attends the Tribeca Ball 2012
Perfecting the mixed print trend.
20. Solange Knowles poses for a portrait backstage at 2012 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival
Let's start a petition to get Solange to teach a class on posing!