Besides the fashion and the accessories, hair was a major theme during the Spring 2014 collections at NYFW. This season left us quite a few hair trends that we’ve fallen in love with. Whether it was messy buns and braids, or pulled back or left loose, the spring’s hair inspiration got a sophisticated remix that you’re going to need help pulling together.
So I called my loves, celebrity hair stylist, Cynthia Alvarez. She’s the hands behind some of the most gorgeous tresses in the industry. From Alicia Keys, Rita Ora, Shakira, Kerry Washington and Keke Palmer Cynthia has established herself as the one to watch in the hair and beauty world.
Check out Cynthia’s step-by-step guide to achieving the top hair looks of NYFW!
Designer: Rag and Bone
Style: Middle Part with Slight Wave – sleek, sexy and versatile.
What You’ll Need: Gloss or shiny pomade, 1-½ inch curling iron, holding spray
- Begin with straightened hair (either flat ironed or blow dried) and part down the middle.
- Add just a dime-sized amount of gloss or shiny pomade to your hair – begin at the top of your head and run through to your tips for a sleek look. For gloss, I like the Redken Shatterproof Shine and for pomade, try Motions Shine Enhancing Pomade.
- Use a 1 ½-inch curling iron to wave individual sections of your hair in different directions – both forward and back. The Gold ‘N Hot curling iron is perfect for achieving effortless soft waves.
- Let each curls drop and run your fingers through to loosen up the hair.
- Add a touch of holding spray.
Designer: Nicholas K
Style: Middle Part with Individual Braids and Headband – an edgy look for girls who like to play with accessories.
What You’ll Need: Gloss or shiny pomade, a silk scarf or headband, rubber bands
- Begin with straightened hair (either flat ironed or blow dried) and part down the middle. The Sedu Flat Iron will provide you with a super sleek look!
- Add just a dime-sized amount of gloss or shiny pomade to your hair. Begin at the top of your head and run through to your tips.
- Take a silk scarf and fold it neatly, so that its just 1 – 1 ½-inches wide. Place the scarf on your forehead at its midpoint and tie it around your head so that it’s secure (you may also use a headband).
Randomly section out pieces of hair and braid. It isn’t necessary to braid the hair to the tips – leave the ends loose and use a rubber band to secure each one.
Designer: Rebecca Minkoff
Style: Braided Up-Do – a feminine, elegant look with a twist.
What You’ll Need: Rubber bands and bobby pins
- Part your hair down the middle.
- Cornrow each side of your hair from back to front, so that you have two individual braids. Complete each braid through to the tips, and secure both ends with a rubber band.
- Take the left braid and bring it over to the right side of your head, securing it with bobby pins.
- Take the right braid and bring it over to the left side of your head and secure it with bobby pins, and with this last step you’ve created a crown.
Alright, are you ready to do your first DIY hair video! In the meantime, check out this gallery some of my favorite accessories from NYFW here:
It's In The Details: The Best Accessories At NYFW Spring 2014
1. The Best Accessories At NYFW Spring 20141 of 11
2. Alice + Olivia Spring 20142 of 11
3. Alice + Olivia Spring 20143 of 11
4. Christian Siriano Spring 20144 of 11
5. DKNY Spring 20145 of 11
6. DKNY Spring 20146 of 11
7. Jason Wu Spring 20147 of 11
8. Kate Spade Spring 20148 of 11
9. Kenneth Cole Spring 20149 of 11
10. Milly Spring 201410 of 11
11. Proenza Schouler Spring 201411 of 11
Follow me @gorgeousingrey
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Style & Beauty Trends