Juggling a career and family isn’t easy, but Solange Knowles says her job as a mother always comes first.
The singer and proud mother of 8-year-old Daniel Julez Smith Jr. recently canceled her European Summer Tour to be closer to her son. Although she admitted that it was a difficult discussion, Solange said she refused to hit the road while her son is still adjusting to his new school and making new friends.
“I wish I could put in words how much of a difficult decision this was but between moving part-time to a new city, starting my son in a new school, and writing/recording my new record, I really had to make the best decision for my mental/physical health and provide some stability for my family,” she said during an interview with The Gurardian. “My son will be starting a new school … which unexpectedly begins a few weeks earlier than his previous one. It’s imperative that I am there [for] his first week to transition him. I really hope that you understand and I promise I’ll be back in your area soon enough to make up for it.”
The 27-year-old was scheduled to perform at festivals in Denmark, Belgium, Portugal, Norway, Finland and Poland over the next few months. “I am so so sooooo sorry if I’ve disappointed, and really hope to make it out to those special cities soon enough,” she added.
Solange and Julez recently relocated to Brooklyn to be closer to family and friends. “My parents are here, my sister is here, my cousin is here, all my friends are here,” she said.
“We really wanted Julez to have the experience that we had growing up—being able to drop in on his aunt’s house and being able to hang out with grandma and see our friends and have that experience of actually having a soccer game and having family show up,” she explained. “It’s such a beautiful feeling, but also having that village is a necessary reality so that I’m able to pursue my passion both outside of motherhood and outside of my career.”
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
50 Killer Looks We'd Like To Steal From Solange
1. 50 Killer Looks Starring Solange
To understand Solange Knowles means that you know fashion. You know that it's fresh and vibrant, and sometimes weird. You know that it's daring and revealing, but can often be subtle and calm. Solange is no longer just Beyonce's stylish little sister. Following in the footsteps of Diana and Cher, Solange is rocking out to her own beat and I love it. But there's 15 killer looks that I am completely swooning over!
2. Solange at the Opening Ceremony And 'The Great Gatsby' Premiere
Here's where everyone began checking for Beyonce's baby sis.
3. Solange attends the Costume Institute Gala for the "PUNK: Chaos to Couture" exhibition
Her infamous fro that everyone almost believed was hers.
4. Solange Knowles attends the Pre-Met Ball screening of "The Great Gatsby" at The Museum of Modern Art
Before we all know that stripes were in, Solange was setting the bar for what the trend should feel like.
5. Solange Knowles at The 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Giving us an Angelina leg covered in color!
6. Solange Knowles attends the 2011 Angel Ball To Benefit Gabrielle's Angel Foundation
I bet you forgot how amazing white could look, huh!
7. Solange at the "Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream" New York Premiere
Even when she ditches her slacks, she looks breathtaking!
8. Solange Knowles attends the 2013 Vanity Fair Oscar party
9. Solange Knowles attends the HBO "Girls" season 2 premiere
Wondering why everyone is wearing head-to-toe prints, we can all thank Solange!
10. Solange Knowles attends Ermenegildo Zegna "Essenze" Collection Launch event
Chic yet simple!
11. Solange Knowles attends the Absolut Tune Launch Party at The Top of The Standard
Olivia Pope knows nothing about this!
12. Solange Knowles attends American Ballet Theatre Opening Night Fall New York City Center Gala
But do you peep those heels?!
13. Solange Knowles attends amfAR Milano 2012 during Milan Fashion Week at La Permanente
Serving superhero realness. I'm still waiting for her to fly away.
14. Solange Knowles attends the Angel Ball 2012 at Cipriani Wall Street
I just want Solange to reorganize my closet.
15. Solange Knowles attend 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards at Alice Tully Hall
And add this one in my size...
16. Solange Knowles attends the "Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations" Costume Institute Gala
And I would totes squeeze into this one.
17. Solange Knowles attends 6th Annual DKMS Linked Against Blood Cancer Gala
Taking a que from her big sis with the accented waist and hip on this dress. I think she forgot her makeup though?
18. Solange Knowles attends the Splendid Soho Store Opening Hosted By Dylan Lauren
Every girl should have own a funky clutch. It will bring life to any look.
19. Solange Knowles attends the Tribeca Ball 2012
Perfecting the mixed print trend.
20. Solange Knowles poses for a portrait backstage at 2012 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival
Let's start a petition to get Solange to teach a class on posing!