Must Read: Oprah Praised Black Filmmaker Ava DuVernay
DuVernay, who became the first woman of color to win the Best Director Prize, was tapped by the fashion line Miu-Miu to direct the film for their Women’s Tale series. For the past two years, Miu Miu has commissioned female directors internationally to tell stories showcasing their newest collection.
As the leading lady, Union plays a woman reeling from her crumbling marriage. Woodard, Corinealdi, Oduye and Goapele all come to show support.
DuVernay’s talent cannot be denied, but to have an entire female black cast, being directed also by a woman of color cannot and should not be ignored. DuVernay, along with the cast, are proof women of color are a force to be reckoned with.
Follow HelloBeautiful On Twitter!
The 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards: The Absolute Best (& Worst) Dressed
1. Beyonce in Osman Studio1 of 26
2. Kelly Rowland in Georges Chakra2 of 26
3. Jennifer Lopez in Anthony Vaccarello3 of 26
4. Erica Campbell from Mary Mary4 of 26
5. Estelle in a design she made herself5 of 26
6. Janelle Monae6 of 26
7. Rocsi Diaz7 of 26
8. Chris Brown8 of 26
9. Justin Timberlake9 of 26
10. Tamala Jones10 of 26
11. Ashanti in Tony Ward Couture11 of 26
12. Wiz Khalifa in Tom Ford & Amber Rose in Donna Karan12 of 26
13. 2 Chainz13 of 26
14. Ne-Yo in YSL14 of 26
15. Rihanna in Azzedine Alaia15 of 26
16. Elle Varner16 of 26
17. LL Cool J and Simone Johnson17 of 26
18. Solange Knowles18 of 26
19. Adele in Valentino19 of 26
20. Trey Songz in Moschino20 of 26
21. Esperanza Spalding21 of 26
22. Nelly22 of 26
23. Alicia Keys in Azzedine Alaia23 of 26
24. Chrissy Teigen and John Legend24 of 26
25. Tamia25 of 26
26. Katy Perry26 of 26
More On Ava DuVernay: