“My mother took me to have my hair relaxed at age 6 and I kept my hair chemically straightened until I was 23. I finally got sick of the burning, the smell, the look of relaxed hair on me. I began to question why I felt this intrinsic need to chemically straighten my hair. When I got married, I cut my hair short and rocked a tiara made of seed pearls and copper wire. That was my big chop and I never looked back. It’s been ten years and I can’t imagine myself without my natural curls!” – Afrobella
When I first sought out to find my own space within the fashion and beauty digital world, Patrice Grell Yursik from Afrobella was one of the first women to offer advice and kind words of “keep on keeping on”. If you’ve ever googled anything pertaining to brown girl beauty, then you’ve likely to have stumbled upon the Godmother of Brown Beauty Blogging.
I consider Patrice a good girlfriend of mine and I’ve proudly watched her shine in Lancôme and Urban Decay campaigns. I’ve read almost every feature of hers–my faves New York Times, Essence, and Glamour. I even stalked the MAC cosmetics site for her exclusive “All Of My Purple Life” lipglass. So I was beyond delighted (after I stalked her with few emails and twitter messages) when Patrice offered her list of must-have hair products.
Check out what products made her list!
1. Karen’s Body Beautiful Secret Weapon Restorative Treatment1 of 9
2. Koils By Nature Shealoe Leave In Conditioner2 of 9
3. Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave In3 of 9
4. Shea Radiance Rich Hair Butter4 of 9
5. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner5 of 9
6. BelleButters Unyevu Butter6 of 9
7. Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Milk Shine & Hold Mist7 of 9
8. Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi Moisturizing Shampoo8 of 9
9. Anita Grant Hair Oils9 of 9
MORE ON HELLOBEAUTIFUL: