Frank Ocean did not come out for you. He did not come out to save R&B. Nor did he come out to sell a million copies of his debut album, Channel Orange. Frank Ocean sat down with The Guardian and opened up about his coming out and said that it was about his own sanity.
I understand Ocean 100%. I also battle with my own sexuality and it’s difficult when society just expects you to be a certain way and it only comes down to who you love–not the way you love, why you love or how you love. I could only imagine the pressure and anxiety that he faced as someone in the spotlight with feelings he couldn’t keep under wraps anymore.
In Ocean’s interview–which will run in The Guardian on Saturday–I caught a few stand out quotes. Check out the five quotes from Frank Ocean’s latest interview
1. ”I wished at 13 there was somebody I looked up to who would have said something like that, who would have been transparent in that way.”
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With Your Fave Black Celebs!
2. ”I knew that I was writing in a way that people would ask questions.”
3. “I knew that my star was rising, and I knew that if I waited I would always have somebody that I respected be able to encourage me to wait longer, to not say it till who knows when.”
4. “People are just afraid of things too much … Sure, evil exists, extremism exists. Somebody could commit a hate crime and hurt me. But they could do the same just because I’m black. They could do the same just because I’m American.”
5. “…about my own sanity and my ability to feel like I’m living a life where … I’m happy when I wake up in the morning, and not with this freakin’ boulder on my chest.”
More On Frank Ocean Below:
Check Out The Hottest Celeb Pics Of The Week!
Hottest Celeb Pics – July 11-18
Listen To This Frank Ocean-Inspired Playlist!