Orlo is one of New York City’s most high-end salons ($800 for haircut) in the Meatpacking District with celebrity clients like Naomi Campbell, Kirsten Dunst and Jennifer Connelly among others. The salon’s owners George Casson and Orlando Pita are being sued for racial comments to one of their black stylists–Zandra Bennett–which created a hostile and discriminatory work environment. Bennett claims that Casson told her that, “Black hair doesn’t pay the bills in here.”
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With Your Fave Black Celebs!
Bennett started as an assistant in 2008 and within five months had proven herself worthy enough to be a stylist and by 2011, she was fired via text message after missing work because she was hospitalized because of job-related stress.
Bennett says that Casson always steered black clients to her, while telling them that she “doesn’t know how to do white hair.” He also allegedly called Bennett’s hair “nappy.” As if that weren’t bad enough, the salon’s receptionist, Alfred Malavo would allegedly call Bennett “blackie,” “ni**ette” and a “slave.”
Listen To This Playlist For A Reminder That Black Is Beautiful!
Click Through This Gallery For The Hottest Celeb Pics Of The Week!
Hottest Celeb Pics Of The Week: April 25- May 2
1. Rihanna at the Time 100 Most Influential gala
2. Rihanna performs at the Time Most Influential gala
3. Cassie performs on 106 & Park
4. Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom attend the grand opening of RYU
5. Amber Rose goes casual
6. Kelly Rowland shows off her curves in Australia
7. Kim Kardashian attend the grand opening of RYU
8. Solange Knowles attends the Splendid Soho Store opening
9. Christina Milian attends Star Magazine's 'All Hollywood' event at AV Nightclub
10. Raven Symone visit BET's "106 & Park"
11. Jennifer Williams at her NY press conference