I don’t know what’s worse, arguing with a colleague or a significant other. They both come with a huge plate of stress, served with annoyance and grief. But while they are both a pain, it’s clear which one can directly affect your performance and career trajectory. Most work conflict isn’t due to personality clashes but instead, rooted in issues of communication, process management and unclear expectations. Sound overwhelming? Don’t worry, most of the conflict I’ve witnessed over time, could have been avoided by considering the following tips:
1. Manage expectations: Most work conflict often stems from a lack of clear communication which leads to assumptions and misunderstandings. Manage up to your boss or down to your team with clear expectations about what you will and will not do, or what you can and cannot do given your capacity. As you begin to work on a new project, be sure to dig deeply into your specific responsibilities and the responsibilities of your teammates. Doing this on the front end allows you to avoid a serious misunderstanding down the line. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to tell your team when you’re struggling. If you need help on an assignment, or instructions clarified once again, ask for help! Some of us find ourselves in unnecessary stress because we want to wear the superwoman “S” on our chest instead of seeking support. Forget the superwoman cap and be real about your human limitations.
2. Appeal to our collective humanity. Your boss is human. Yes, believe it or not, he or she often feels stressed, overwhelmed and anxiety about performing on the job. The people you work with are human and they laugh, cry, and have feelings just like you. Make time to truly get to know one other. Perhaps you could start each meeting with a personal catch up time. What are their plans for the weekend? How’s their family? You never know the outside stress someone’s bringing into the workplace. Finding time to share these stories creates a deeper sense of partnership, camaraderie and collaboration. It will also help you avoid an argument that at its inception had nothing to do with you. Ever got in an argument with a co-worker who just got dumped? Yeah, it’s not pretty.
3. People are less inclined to be antagonistic to those who generally give off a good vibe. As author David Brook’s cites in “Social Animals,” ninety percent of emotional communication is nonverbal. Gestures not only help us express our feelings but further constitute them. If you don’t want to be known as the wise cracking “b&*ch” then why are you always rolling your eyes and sucking your teeth? No one wants to work with someone who’s always contrary and carries an attitude like it’s her purse. Find your joy and bring it to work!
4. Think before you speak: Sounds so simple right? Well, it’s not. In the heat of the moment it’s easy to pop back with a quick retort, or throw up your hands in exasperation. Next time you’re frustrated, politely excuse yourself, take some deep breaths and reflect on your role in the conflict. Accept your blame and instantly begin thinking of solutions. Staying in the center of conflict is like quicksand and you will get no where. Instead of moping in the mess, reflect and get ready to resolve like a team player.
Want some help putting these tips into action? Consider the below.
Tips in practice:
- Start team meetings with a “High & Lows” section where team members share one good, and one bad thing happening in their life.
- When you begin working with a new team/boss create a separate meeting to describe your working styles. (Do you communicate better via email or phone? Do you work better in the morning or evening? Etc )
- Establish a monthly happy hour/team outing. Rotate venues to provide an inclusive atmosphere to account for the diversity of thought and perspective in your team.
- Identify a ‘safe’ space in your office. Pick a secret corner, bathroom stall, elevator etc that you can retreat in moments of heavy conflict. Use this space to help you cool off.
Jovian Zayne is a writer, photographer and occasional radio co-host in New York City. Read more from Jovian on her personal blog Word Up Haay! Join her on twitter via @jovizi for laughs, encouragement and your daily dose of quick wit.
More Articles in “Women In The Workplace”:
Do Mean Girls Make More Money?
Also On HelloBeautiful:
1. Blue. #May10 #NYC
2. Blue Ivy & Mommy
3. Daddy & Me
Blue Ivy walks across mommy's at-home photoshoot, but it's the most adorable photobomb ever!
5. One Big Happy Family
The royal family, Bey, Jay & Blue are all out shopping and we're sure they spent our entire life's savings in 30 minutes or less.
6. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
Beyonce in these heels though?!
7. Beyoncé & Blue in NYC — Nov. 4
Look at Blue in her adorable little bow!
8. Beyoncé & Blue spotted in NYC — Nov. 4
Blue holding on to mommy for dear life.
9. Beyoncé & Blue spotted in NYC — Nov. 4
Momma Bey looking fierce with her mini me in tow.
10. Blue dressed as Michael Jackson.
11. Blue & Ivy
Just look at that face. Seriously, Jay could never deny this child! She knows how to make all his mean mugs!
12. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
Look at that cutie!
13. Beyoncé, Jay Z & Blue in Beverly Hills — Nov. 11
OMG Blue in a top knot? Yasss!
Blue has grown up to be an adorable toddler! We're swooning over this photo of her playing on the beach.
Looks like Blue is taking a walk in mom's shoes...literally.
16. Beyoncé & Blue
There's nothing like being cuddled up in mom's arms.
Blue is looking all kinds of adorable! Look at that left hand go! LOL.
18. Blue On The Big Screen
Bey & Jay look at Blue during a video played at an "On The Run" tour stop. How precious!
19. Pardon Blue's Back
She's growing up so fast! We're loving the top knot. Take that Blue Ivy hair critics!
20. Jump Around
Bey & Blue share an adorable moment on the trampoline. Hello summer!
21. Rocking Some Cute Ponytails
Blue Ivy was spotted with a new 'do! Bey & Jay's mini-me was holding on to her father during a little day stroll.
22. Strolling With Mom & Dad
Blue, Jay and Bey all spotted in East Hampton.
23. Blue Has A Manicure Day With Mama Bey
"Me and my Blue, and my Blue Blue, riding🐝"
24. Hanging Out With Mom
Baby Blue is walking to the door, and it looks like Bey is trying to keep up!
25. Trying On Some Heels
Will Blue be slaying a performance in the near future?
26. Holding On To Mom
Blue looks like she has something to say to Bey.
27. Playing A Game Of Tennis
Blue walks on the tennis court.
28. Cuddling With Mom
Blue & Beyonce have some much-needed cuddle time.
29. Blue Ivy
"The blueprint 🐝"
30. Bey & Blue Take A Stroll
Doesn't Blue look adorable with her colorful dress and cute hair ribbon?
31. The Carter Lounge Together
The family was seen out and about.
32. Jay Z Carries Blue While Bey Looks On
Jay carries Blue in his arms.
33. Leading The Way
Blue Ivy looks too cute with her bowler hat and Mama Bey watching from behind. She's really growing up!
34. Out On The Town
Blue Ivy & Momma Bey enjoy some much deserved time off in Spain.
35. Traveling With Mom and Dad
Blue is used to traveling with Mama Bey and Poppa Jay, but she also looked a little flustered at some moments. It's ok, baby Blue!
36. A Day At The Park
Poppa Jay Z lets Blue Ivy have her way with the bouncy horse.
37. It's A Family Affair
Beyonce, Jay and Blue jetsetting in Dublin.
Blue dressed up like a hipster and plays a quick game of peekaboo! How adorable!
39. OMG It's Blue's Beautiful Face!
FINALLY! We get to see how beautiful Blue is! Look at the adorable headband! "Blue 💙"
40. Blue Ivy
Life's a beach!
41. Brooklyn Stand Up!
"Beyonce & Blue"
42. Blue Ivy's Got Her Own iPhone
"Momma, what's your password?"
43. Beyonce's Lazy Day With Blue
"Momma, I asked you for your password!"
44. When Blue Ivy Takes Your Phone, Beyonce Be Like...
"Fine, I'll go ask Daddy!"
45. Blue Ivy On Tour
"Bey & Blue"
46. It's Playtime
Beyonce & Blue take some time out to play.
47. A Chilly Day In NYC
"Beyoncé, Jay Z and Blue Ivy in NYC - Jan. 19"
48. All Bundled Up
The royal family makes their way to their fancy car.
49. Kisses From Dad
Blue's all bundled up, getting love from Daddy.
50. Blue At The White House
Blue Ivy's taking after mommy and writing a letter.
51. Blue Loves Bo
The White House pup, Bo is showing Blue Ivy some love.
52. The Carters At The White House
Check out the royal family checking out the scene at the White House.
53. It's Christmas Time Again
Blue and Bey checking out the White House Christmas tree.
54. Blue Lovin' Bo
Blue Ivy, dressed like a Princess, showing Bo some love.
55. Like Father, Like Daughter
Blue playing dress up with Daddy's hat.
56. Fun Times With Mommy
Blue Ivy spends some QT with mommy.
57. Mommy & Me
Blue and Bey take a break for some snacks.
58. Silvery Blue
Beyonce carries Blue, while the adorable toddler rocks a metallic jacket that we want and need.
59. The Holy Grail
Blue, Bey & Jay
60. One Big Happy Family
"#miami #newyear #2014"
"Beyoncé & Blue 💙"
62. Blue & Daddy In A Blue Jacket
"Jay and Blue 💙 #NewYear #2014 #Miami"
63. Hold On To Me
"Happy New Year Mommy!"
64. Dora Dora Dora The Explorer
"Beyoncé, Blue and Dora the Explorer"
65. Daddy & Bey
"Look over there Blue, you own that too."
66. Blue's Big B-Day
"Mommy make sure they can only see the back of my head."
67. Painted Faces For Blue's Bday
"Let me get down Mommy, I wanna play!"
68. Kisses From Mommy
Beyonce and Blue prepping for Momma Tina's Masquerade Ball
69. Talk To The Hand!
Beyonce, Jay Z and Blue Ivy were spotted leaving Joey's restaurant in Miami, on January 8th, and Blue had a message for the paps! Talk to the hand!
70. Me & My Daddy
While Beyonce's arm rested, Jay carried Blue from Joey's restaurant, in Miami on January 8th.
71. Blue's First Words
"I'm ready to slay right along with you, Ma!"
72. Imagine The Sound Of This Lullaby
A newborn Blue Ivy gets serenaded by her superstar mother.
73. Don't Mess With Blue!
Every now and again, Blue Ivy reminds you...she is her father's child!
74. All Gold Everything
Blue Ivy takes after her dad's swag. The inseparable duo were spotted in South Beach, Miami illuminating the streets outside their hotel with their yellow luster!
75. All Of The Lights!
"Mommy! All the pretty colors are so blinding! I'm...just..so..overwhelmed! When's my shot coming?! When's my shot coming?!" Blue plays on set with Bey at her 'Blow' video shoot.
76. Hey Blue!
"I can be happy sometimes, see?"
77. Blue Ivy With Daddy
"Why are we clapping, again? I'm not in the shot."
78. Jay Z Tries To Get Blue To Listen To "Magna Carta Holy Grail"
"Daddy, I'm more of a Nas fan."
79. Stepping With Mom
"Wait, Ma. I want the camera to see all angles of this sick dress!"
80. Splashin' & Playin'
"Mom, this water is clean, right? Because I'm not trying to splash in water I can't trust."
81. Beyonce Discusses Important Matters
"Mommy, I completely get it. Yes, I promise to watch the throne."
82. Mommy's Hugs
"Ok, Ma. I love you to pieces, but I like oxygen too." Bey may be the Queen, but this scene from her video "Blue" makes it look as if she can't get enough of being Mom.
83. Blue Ivy Twirls
"Aaaahh, I'm having so much fun not thinking about anything...wiippeee...oh, wait...getting a little sick."
84. Just So You Know...
"I run things. Don't get it twisted."
85. Mommy & Me Loungin'
"Oh, Mommy, I'm so tired of seeing the wigs you snatched last night all on our floor. It's so exhausting. Like, when're they getting picked up? Not now? Oh. Ok."
86. A Kiss For Blue
"Mommy, let me sleep, dang!"
87. Slurpin' On That Milk...Slurpin' Slurpin' On That Milk
"Mommy, gimme that bottle!"
We could watch this adorable GIF of Blue Ivy nonstop forever!
89. Jay Sneaks In Kisses
"Dadddd! Get..Away!..I don't want...No, ugh..No kisses!"
90. Blue Stares Back...
"Hey! Who's that?!"
91. Blue Still Doesn't Get Why Anyone's Here
"No, really, who are you? You're getting to close."
92. Blue and Bey Out For Lunch
"I'm over this now. People just won't let us be. Mom, why can't we just be?!"
93. Blue Is One Tough Cookie
"Ma, please let me just kick them in the face. Like, please, I can't see through all these lights."
94. Blue Jetsets With Jay
"Dad, do we own this boat? I just figured we owned everything, so..."
95. Beyonce Keeps Blue Covered
"Mommy, I think you forgot my feet. I'm cold right now. Are we inside?"
96. Beyonce LOVES Her Blue
Look at that face, how could you not kiss it?!
97. Blue Swings With Mommy
"I like the swing, this is nice, Mom--Oh, I'll let you pose for that shot."
98. Blue Decked Out In Pink
"Are we actually meeting people right now? Oh, I'll get it together, then."
99. A Hot Pink Summer
"Doesn't my mom look absolutely amazing? I know you're hating right now."
100. Working Her Moves
"Was Blue trying out Bey's bootylicious moves already?"