Welcome to Strand Therapy! brought to you by Your Partner In “Natural” Style— Design Essentials Natural. Strand Therapy is your one-stop-shop for all things natural! If you are currently transitioning, not sure what styles are best for your hair type, or if you need help maintaining your kinky curly tresses (or straightening them) then this is the place for you!
To kick things off, we’re proud to present our “Top 10 Must-Haves to Rock Your Natural Hair on a Budget.” Whether you are newly natural or a seasoned natural going through transitions, here are some great tips to keep your curls and coils coiffed and sexy while on a shoestring budget:
- Make your own leave-in conditioner with a spray bottle, conditioner, and water.
- Use apple cider vinegar as a final rinse to break down the harsh chemicals present in the water.
- Don’t forget about hair oil! (Oils moisturize the scalp, provide nutrients to the hair, and promote hair growth).
- Consider making your own deep conditioners by mixing household nourishing ingredients (honey, apple cider, bananas, vinegar, eggs, avocado, and mayonnaise)
- Plastic caps are great for deep conditioning. Once applied to the head, it locks in the moisture and provides heat. It’s also another great alternative to using a hooded hair dryer when secured around the head with a hot towel.
- Use a Flaxseed Styling Gel as it promotes hair growth, leaves hair feeling soft, moisturized, shiny, and healthy.
- Use a Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Stay away from baking soda as it can strip the hair of moisture. (Sulfate-free shampoos reduce hair irritation, hair loss, color fading, and frizziness).
- Essential Styling tools should include: bobby pins, satin scarf, tail comb, blow dryer, diffuser, butterfly clips and rubber row brush.
- Indulge in essential oils. There are so many to choose from! Lavender oils calm and soothe the scalp. Basil stimulates hair growth. Tea Tree decreases scalp dryness. Click here to learn more about essential oils and their benefits.
- Patience is very important when learning to style and maintain your hair. It’s important to allocate time to style your hair and stick to a regimen. It will pay off!.
To learn more about Design Essentials® Natural and to win free natural hair care products, be sure to visit us at www.designessentials.com. You may also “Like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter (@designessntials). We recently participated in the Fall 2011 World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta, GA and provided great natural maintenance and styling tips for professionals and consumers, not to mention provided some awesome giveaways! If you missed the fun, check out our online slideshow from the event. We were also joined by Mae Tapp of NaturalChica.com who hosted our on-site natural giveaways (Thanks, Mae!).
Don’t forget to send your hair questions to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Also On HelloBeautiful:
These Are What Beautiful Black Bodies Look Like...
1. Beautiful Black Bodies
Black women come in all shapes, builds and skin tones. We take pride in our curves, six packs and svelte silhouettes. Let's just say, we keep it fierce at all times! In celebrations of our gorgeous, scroll through this gallery of stunning Black celebs showing off their fabulous figures.