Weaves, wigs and extensions are all double edged swords. On one hand, they can help you to look unbelievable fly. On the other, they can make you look like you are wearing a bird’s nest on your head. Please, ladies, avoid much ridicule and humiliation by taking a few necessary precautions before you venture into the realm of supplementary hair. Here are a few things for you to consider, before you let some hairdresser convince you that you look like the next Beyoncé.
1) Are your tracks showing? Ladies, this is a cardinal offense against the weave gods. Do not let your tracks show! Either cover them up or put on a hat, because exposed tracks just eliminate the purpose of the entire weave.
2) Don’t opt for the cheap stuff! There is a wide array of hair available to you at every price point. However, DON”T use that as an excuse to buy the cheapest half-plastic-half-horse concoction out there. Spend the extra money to get (at least) something that sprouted from another human; and then if you can, go for the better quality human hair.
3) Keep it natural looking. I don’t care what type of Polish-Chinese-Indian-Cherokee you claim to be mixed with. Nobody can grow 5 pounds of 24 inch hair. No one. Don’t try to jam 5 packs of hair on to your head. It will make you look like a furry lollipop.
4) If you are going to do a lacefront, or any wig for that matter, don’t let it eat your forehead. Try to get one with a realistic hairline that is not 2 centimeters above your eyebrows. And avoid gluing a wig to your forehead. That just doesn’t even sound right.
5) Keep your edges tight. It makes no sense to have a super kinky mini afro around your hairline, and then 16 inches of perfectly straight glorious locks flowing out of the middle of your head. And while you’re at it, make sure your edges are the same color as your extensions. Black roots have no business with a blond weave.
6) You can’t treat a weave like its your real hair because, well, its a weave. Don’t get your weave and then think its your hair so you don’t have to be as meticulous as you would have been without the extensions. Wrap your hair at night. Comb it. Tie it. Love it. Don’t be fooled! Your hair may look like your own, but its still a product that needs to be taken care of and maintained.
7) Fake it ’til you make it. A huge part of the weave-allure is the fact that when done correctly, it will blend in with your own hair. So work it like its growing right out of your own scalp. Fling it, make it bounce a little when you walk, style it up and be fab with it. Rock your weave so hard that no one will ever suspect that came from the store!
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"