Let’s rap a little bit about a subject that I don’t discuss too much here at Clumps of Mascara.
*key horror film music*
I know it’s not that serious but I have always been afraid of foundations. I automatically assume that they will break me out. Craziness, I know. That said, I don’t feel comfortable answering emails in reference to foundation. I will either a) ask one of my fellow beauty bloggers/make-up artists or b) do the research myself. Since I lack the experience in foundation purchasing and application I usually HAVE to ask someone else.
Prescriptives has compiled a Q&A with Beauty Authority Jillian Veran to answer some of your most sought after questions regarding foundations.
Pay attention, kids. There will be a quiz afterwards.
Nah, I’m kidding. Wouldn’t that be funny though? LOL!
1. Do different skin types need different foundation formulas?
* Absolutely – the environment can affect how our skin behaves so the same skin can even need different types of foundation during the year. In today’s beauty world there are so many options, the best thing to do is to address what you want and need from your foundation. Do you like a sheer, luminous, satin or matte finish? Do you like liquid, cream or powder formulas? And of course what is your skin type – normal, dry, oily, combination?
2. What is the best way to apply foundation? Should I use a sponge, a brush or my fingertips?
* Applying foundation is a personal preference and each method creates a different finish. Using your fingers will allow for a sheerer finish; a sponge is a little tricky for a non-makeup artist as it can place a lot of foundation in one spot so be sure to move quickly across the areas you are applying to; a brush is always great as it helps you create a very smooth even finish.
* Also, I always recommend using the Px Buff Brush after your foundation is dry to soften the look of the makeup and create a sheer air brushed effect.
3. If I’m testing foundation in a department store, is it ok to do a swatch on my hand? Or should I always test the foundation on my face?
* The best and most accurate way to test foundation is on the side of the face along the jaw line. Stick to this method for fool proof matching.
To read three more tips, go to ClumpsofMascara.com.
Also On HelloBeautiful:
Celebs Tweet Their Thoughts About #JusticeForSandraBland
1. Jesse Williams
#SandraBland's treatment while attempting to travel freely on HER public roadways has been acknowledged as unlawful. She is already dead.
2. Taraji P. Henson
"SAY HER NAME #SandraBland"
3. Ava DuVernay
"'Why are you arresting me?' Because you know your rights. Because I can. Because no one'll believe you. #SandraBland"
4. Kim Kardashian
#WhatHappenedToSandraBland We need answers!!!! This is NOT ok! This is all shady! They need to own up to this & tell the truth!
5. Jussie Smollet
"A loss 4 words. #SandraBlandMatters #BlackLivesMatter 👈🏿tell me this should change once the nation shows that we do. "
6. Snoop Dogg
🙏🌹. Sandra. Rip. 🌹🌹
7. K. Michelle
R.I.P to this queen. This could've been any of us. My prayers go out to her family. #sandrabland https://instagram.com/p/5fvlO_AhCf/
8. Gabrielle Union
SAY HER NAME!!! #SandraBland #SandraBland #SandraBland #SayHerName
"We must get to the cause of #sandrabland death because this CANNOT happen again #deathorfreedom"
10. David Banner
"When will we fight back. A man's duty on earth is to protect women and children. Where are the gangsters? Preachers? We need you. Please."
11. Nicki Minaj
"Rest In Peace #SandraBland"
12. Talib Kweli
"We the people ask @LorettaLynch to investigate #SandraBland #KimberleeRandleKing RETWEET "
Signs. Signs. Signs all around us. The Message is Here. #SandraBland
14. Missy Elliot
"When I look at the #SandraBland traffic video it brings so many emotions😳😢😡😡😤!"
15. Jessie J
"God bless your soul Sandra | #sandrabland | Change needs to come |Justice needs to be served | Heart… https://instagram.com/p/5fV79mQ0aw/ "
16. Jackee Harry
"It's time y'all, it's time.." #SandraBland #BlackLivesMatter
"In memory of #SandraBland these things don't make no kinda sense "
18. Holly Robinson Peete
I really don't look forward to having ANOTHER difficult conversation w my kids tonight...but here we go again😧💔 #SandraBland #SayHerName 😢
19. Jeffrey White
Sadly, doesn't matter by whose hand she died. Unjustified arrested set the outcome in motion. The state murdered her. #JusticeForSandraBland
Sandra could have been your mother, sister, aunt, friend or if she wasn't killed the community outreach advisor A&M. #SandraBland
21. Joan Smalls
"My heart is broken. Sending my deepest condolence to her family and friends. May you find Strength, Peace and Justice. When will this stop? #EqualityForAll #RIP #Why #SayHerName
22. Gladys Knight
Sandra Bland.... #SayHerName #SandraBland
23. Cara Delevigne
Things need to change NOW #SANDRABLAND #Justice #Equality
24. Meek Mill
"Rip to that young lady that lost her life about a traffic stop! 🙏 ima make sure I pray for her and her family! 🙏😄😄😄"